We all understand the importance of being healthier, but many of us find it difficult to do anything about it. When it comes to our family, health problems take on even greater importance. Here are 10 simple steps we can take to improve our family’s health and fitness.
1. A good place to start is by introducing healthier meals for lunch and dinner. If you’re having trouble coming up with ideas, look online for healthy family recipes that can benefit you all.
2. When it comes to the foods you already eat, why not introduce some healthy foods to your family’s favorites? An extra veggie on the Sunday roast or a new piece of fruit at lunch might help.
3. Try to replace pastry snacks with healthier options, such as fruit or whole-grain toast.
4. Your kids will look to you for inspiration, so don’t just dictate changes to their diet. Make changes to yours too.
5. Another way to lead by example is to turn off the television and do something more energetic. If your kids see you slumped in front of the TV every night, they probably do the same thing.
6. One way to improve your children’s health and fitness is to introduce them to new sports. By taking them to watch live sports and encouraging them to get involved with local teams or clubs, you can help them find something they love to do.
7. If your children are of an age where you have to take them to school, why not leave the car at home and walk? It will be a great exercise for all of you as well as helping the environment.
8. There are a number of family gyms that offer lots of classes and activities that are perfect for kids and the whole family, so everyone can get in shape together.
9. If your kids don’t get enough exercise because they’re always playing games on game consoles, you can limit their use and encourage them to try alternative activities.
10. Introducing your children to the joys of cooking can be a great way to educate them about good food. Again, it might be worth researching some healthy family recipes to experiment with.