Words “Writer’s Block” It can strike fear into the hearts of writers young and old, from the copywriter virgin to the veteran novelist.
For many of us, experiencing writer’s block at certain points in our writing careers feels as inevitable as the fact that the sun rises each morning and sets again each night.
And that’s the biggest danger of writer’s block.
The way that we really embrace this collective idea that if we are writers, then yes, we will be affected by writer’s block and yes, it will be hard to beat.
So it makes sense that in order to banish the dreaded bloc, we have to smash this belief.
To help you, here are 5 reasons why writer’s block is in fact NOT a terminal condition:
1. We can choose what we focus on. The human mind has some major blind spots in its logic. One of them deals with negatives. Even if we think “I will NOT suffer writer’s block”, our mind tends to choose the words: “Suffer. Writers. Block”.
The more we focus on NOT being blocked, the more we attract the blocked state. So instead, we can choose to focus on words and states like being creative, productive, inventive, and fluent.
2. We can take preventive measures.Do you know the old saying that prevention is better than cure? Totally true in this case too. We can notice the times when we are most likely to feel stuck and have a harder time writing.
Then we can take action and take precautions to make sure we don’t put ourselves in these kinds of situations and circumstances. By avoiding these moments when we are most likely to have difficulty creating, we increase our chances of free writing.
3. We can practice being more creative and having more ideas. Adopting a mindset that you are a creative person and that ideas are in everything around you is essential to removing writer’s block.
The more you become accustomed to seeing ideas and finding inspiration in the small details of everyday life, the greater the availability of an arsenal of ideas that you will have to draw upon and develop with your writing.
4. We can change our beliefs. If we think we are likely to suffer from writer’s block, we will. Our beliefs are more powerful than we often realize and can influence all aspects of our life.
Take a good look at your beliefs about creative writing, both in general about how you think writers are and, more specifically, about what you believe about yourself as a writer. Eliminate those negative beliefs and replace them with more positive and supportive ones.
5. Ultimately, it is a state of mind, not an external force. We are not slaves to writer’s block, shaking in fear with every word we write, in case it suddenly hits us and leaves us powerless to write any more.
Writer’s Block is as real and important as you want to believe it to be. You are the only person who can overcome this false idea that writer’s block is something you are at the mercy of.
Here are 5 powerful reasons why writer’s block doesn’t have to be a terminal condition for you and your creative writing.
What action can you take today to start ending the beliefs and mindsets that are keeping you from writing?
Here’s an additional tip to overcome writer’s block: sit down, get a pencil and a sheet of paper, and just write …