Using Sphagnum Moss to Treat Pools and Spas

But isn’t moss something like algae? Algae are not microscopic plants, while moss is a plant with leaves, stems, and a root system. There are different varieties of sphagnum moss. Some grow on trees or on trees or rocks. Some grow in or on moist places that don’t get much sun. Some of these mosses grow in swamps or ponds and lakes.

The type of moss we are referring to is a type that grows in swamps next to ponds or lakes; And when you look at or swim in these bodies of water, the water tends to be pristine, clear, and cool.

In fact, if you visit one of the many lakes in northern Minnesota and southern Canada, you’ll find that the water is so clean and clear simply because of the type of moss. Because? Simply put, sphagnum moss produces and/or releases (think of a tea bag filtering the “tea”) a substance that is antimicrobial in nature (think of green tea and its antioxidants) and that antimicrobial action prevents bacteria, mold and fungus. to grow and reproduce. It is a fact that has been known and used for literally thousands of years.

Thousands of years ago, our ancestors wrapped freshly caught fish or meat in sphagnum moss to preserve it until they could return home. Recently, a man from Europe’s “ice age” was found frozen in a glacier. Upon examination, it was noted that he had a wound that was filled with sphagnum moss. Note that the ancient world used other “common” things to kill or prevent bacterial growth, such as a silver coin in a water jug. As recently as World War I, moss was used to protect open wounds from becoming infected with disease while awaiting proper treatment. Those soldiers lucky enough to be “treated” with sphagnum moss had significantly less incidence of medical illnesses than their “untreated” comrades. Today, certain wound care centers around the world use this type of moss to successfully treat “non-healing” wounds.

So what does this mean for swimming pools? Lots of good stuff. Scientists and developers have found a particular species of sphagnum moss that is an excellent preventative treatment for bacteria, mold and mildew found in all types of pools and spas. It appears that algae are also suppressed due to a lack of available nutrients to trigger algae blooms. Keep in mind that only about 1% of the bacteria found in swimming pools are “planktonic” or float on the water. The other 99% or so is found in biofilms that reside on pool and spa surfaces, on any and all pool and spa surfaces. That means pipes, linings, stair treads, the back of skimmer weirs (doors), interior light alcoves, heater cores (heat exchangers), filter media (sand, DE or cartridge), etc. That’s the breeding ground for the “stuff” that can lead to cloudy water, algae, chlorine demand, scale, not to mention odors and foaming in hot tubs.

The sphagnum moss is naturally and eco-friendly harvested, dried and processed and placed in easy to use and pack handles that are placed in an offline dispenser (for pools only) and “fed” into the pool, spa or the jacuzzi. It takes about a month for the “tea” (don’t worry, it’s tasteless) to seep out of the sphagnum moss packets and do its job. Moss packs are capable of absorbing around 20 times their weight in pool or spa undesirables. The packets are then replaced (the packets are biodegradable) every month.

Sphagnum moss “tea” is antimicrobial and therefore can prevent the growth and spread of biofilms, as well as help neutralize other bacteria found in the pool, spa or hot tub. As a bonus, sphagnum moss also collects positively charged metals like iron and copper that can stain pool and spa surfaces. Plus, as powerful natural shock absorbers emanate from the sphagnum moss, the water becomes cleaner, clearer, softer to the touch, smells better, and uses significantly fewer chemicals. Results are usually noticeable in less than a week.

Moss pool and spa products ARE compatible with all halogen pool and spa care products (chlorine, bromine, and salt chlorine generation – FAC – free available chlorine – should be maintained at a level of 1.0 – 3, 0 ppm), ionizers such as Nature2, Spa Rana, pool frog and ozone. Pool and spa moss products are NOT compatible with biguanides (biguanides are long chain polymers that will “clog” sphagnum moss) such as Baquacil, BaquaSpa (Arch Chemical products), Soft Swim, or Soft Soak (Arch Chemical products). BioLab).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *